Mac & Matt
Based in USA & UK
11 April, 2023
Sparrow Solitaire takes the classic tile-matching puzzle game mahjong solitaire, and reimagines it from the ground-up for Playdate. With simple rules and plenty of customizable options, the game is accessible to both new players and veterans of the genre.
To explain the name: "Sparrow" as it is said the clacking of mahjong tiles during shuffling resembles the chattering of sparrows, and "Solitaire" because it's a primarily a single player game.
Sparrow Solitaire was born on 10th January, 2021. It was created by Matt Sephton who worked on it for about a month to get to the point of proving the visual design and dealing animation with sound effects in a barebones, non-playable prototype. On 12th May, 2022, Matt put out a call for development help, and from there the rest is history.
- Over 200 layouts, 25 backgrounds, 16 tile sets and 10 music tracks
- Choose from classic layouts to designs referencing other games
- Play the Daily Layout and share your scores via QR code
- Customize almost every aspect of your experience
- Create new layouts with a built-in Editor
- Play against a friend in the 2P challenge mode
- Alternative matching rules in the Shisen-sho variant
- Track your scores, wins, times, progress, and more
- Dynamic weather effects that make the game feel more vibrant
- Music screensaver that works with Playdate Stereo Dock
- Accessibility options, including 2× zoom
Logo & Icon
- "Sparrow Solitaire is the killer app for Playdate. I'll even go so far as to say this is the definitive version of mahjong solitaire anywhere."
— Samuel Judd
- "This is literally the best feeling game on the Playdate."
- "One of my favorite playdate games and quickly becoming one of my most played games of the year! Hands down the best version of Mahjong solitaire I’ve ever played!"
— Marco Hutchens
- "I've never really been into Mahjong, but I find this to be the perfect experience for the Playdate. Will prob be a forever install on my device."
— Alex Larioza
- "This is wonderful! Mahjong would seem impossible to pull off on such a limited screen, but this really takes advantage of that screen's strengths and pulls it off with aplomb."
— Joe Cunningham
- "Love this game. Easily one of the most beautiful games on the Playdate."
— Kilij Arslan
About Mac & Matt
A collaboration between two indie developers working on games for Playdate.
More information on Mac & Matt, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Sparrow Solitaire Credits